All International Agricultural Research Institutes – AgriBooks
Important mission of Agricultural Research Institutes is to collect, process and prepare suitable packages of research results and practices based on the need of the farmers, and to reach the farmers through extension education. So that farmers can benefit from it and agricultural production can increase.
All International Agriculture Research Institutes are mention below with important information.
1. CIMMYT: Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maíz y Trigo / International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center
Foundation Year: 1943
Founder: Norman Ernest Borlaug
CIMMYT had an important role in the Green Revolution in the world. CIMMYT developed the world’s first semi-dwarf varieties of wheat which contributed significantly to the Green Revolution in the world. CIMMYT is Worldwide International Research Institute of Wheat and Maize. The largest gene bank of wheat and maize in the world is in CIMMYT. CIMMYT has partnership with CGIAR (Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centers).
2. CIP– Centro Internacional de la Papa/ International Potato Center
Headquarter: Lima, Peru
Foundation Year: 1971
Founder: Richard L. Sawyer
The International Potato Center (CIP) is International Research Centre for with a focus on potato, sweet potato. The International Potato Center (CIP) maintains world’s largest potato & sweet potato gene bank.
3. ICRISAT– International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics
Headquarter: Hyderabad, India
Foundation Year: 1972
Founders: M. S. Swaminathan, Ralph Cummings, C. Fred Bentley
Mission: Reduce poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics.
4. ICARDA– International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
Headquarter: Beirut, Lebanon
Foundation Year: 1977
5. IRRI– International Rice Research Institute
Headquarter: Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
Foundation Year: 1960.
Founders: Ford Foundation & The Rockefeller Foundation
First Director: Robert Chandler
Mission: IRRI is dedicated to abolishing poverty and hunger among people and populations that depend on rice-based agri-food systems.
IR8 is a high-yielding semi-dwarf rice variety developed by the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in the early 1960s. Promoters such as the IRRI and farmer benefactors of IR8 have called it ‘Miracle Rice’, and celebrate it for fighting famine.
6. IITA– International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
Headquarter: Ibadan, Nigeria
Foundation Year: 1967
Founders: Forrest F. Hill, J. George Harrar
Mission: Transforming Africa’s Agriculture
7. CIFOR– Center for International Forestry Research
Headquarter: Bogor Regency, Indonesia
Foundation Year: 1993
Mission: Bring scientific knowledge to bear on major decisions affecting the world’s tropical forests and the people who depend on them.
8. CIAT– Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical / International Center for Tropical Agriculture
Headquarter: Palmira, Colombia
Foundation Year: 1967
Founder: The Rockefeller Foundation
9. IFPRI– International Food Policy Research Institute
Headquarter: Washington, D.C., USA
Foundation Year: 1975
10. ILRI– International Livestock Research Institute
Headquarter: Nairobi, Kenya
Foundation Year: 1994
11. IWMI– International Water Management Institute
Headquarter: Colombo, Sri Lanka
Foundation Year: 1985
12. FAO– Food and Agricultural Organization
Headquarter: Rome, Italy
Foundation Year: 1945
Parent Organization: United Nations
Mission: To improve levels of nutrition, agricultural productivity and sustainability, and the quality of life of rural people, and to ensure global food security.
Hello, I am Sonu Verma, M.Sc. (Horti.) Agriculture content writer, and an enthusiast who loves to share knowledge. No Culture Without Agriculture.