National Animal Disease Control Programme
About National Animal Disease Control Programme
🔰 National Animal Disease Control Programme (NADCP) is a flagship scheme launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister in September 2019 for control of Foot & Mouth Disease and Brucellosis by vaccinating 100% of cattle, buffalo, sheep, goat, and pig population for FMD and 100% bovine female calves of 4-8 months of age for brucellosis with the total outlay of Rs.13, 343.00 crores for five years (2019-20 to 2023-24).
🔰 National Animal Disease Control Programme for FMD and Brucellosis (NADCP) is a Central Sector Scheme where 100% of funds shall be provided by the Central Government
Objectives of the Programme
🔰 The overall aim of the National Animal Disease Control Programme for FMD and Brucellosis (NADCP) is to control FMD by 2025 with vaccination and its eventual eradication by 2030. This will result in increased domestic production and ultimately in increased exports of milk and livestock products. An intensive Brucellosis Control program in animals is envisaged for controlling Brucellosis which will result in effective management of the disease, in both animals and in humans.
Major Activities under NADCP for FMD and Brucellosis
- Vaccinating the entire susceptible population of bovines, small ruminants (sheep and goats), and pigs at six-monthly intervals (mass vaccination against FMD)
- Primary vaccination of bovine calves (4-5 months of age)
- Deworming one month prior to vaccination
- Publicity and mass awareness campaigns at national, state, block, and village levels including orientation of the state functionaries for the implementation of the program
- Identification of target animals by ear-tagging, registration, and uploading the data in the animal health module of the Information Network for Animal Productivity and Health (INAPH)
- Maintaining a record of vaccination through Animal Health cards
- Zero surveillance/zero monitoring of the animal population
Hello, I am Sonu Verma, M.Sc. (Horti.) Agriculture content writer, and an enthusiast who loves to share knowledge. No Culture Without Agriculture.