Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme
About the Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme:
The Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme is a government of India initiative that aims to enhance agricultural productivity, improve the efficiency of the agricultural value chain, and increase the income of farmers. Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme was launched during 2005-06. The scheme focuses on providing training and extension services to farmers in order to improve their knowledge and skills in the latest agricultural technologies.
The ATMA scheme operates at the district level and is implemented by a State Agricultural Department and the ATMA agency. ATMA scheme is designed to provide services to farmers on a district-basis, through a farmer-centric, demand-driven, and result-oriented approach.
objectives of the Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme:
- Enhance agricultural productivity and income of farmers: ATMA aims to improve the efficiency of the agricultural value chain and increase the income of farmers by providing training and extension services to farmers in the latest agricultural technologies, practices, and management techniques.
- Promote sustainable agriculture: ATMA focuses on promoting sustainable agriculture by providing training and extension services on the use of modern technologies and practices that are environmentally friendly, conserve natural resources and improve soil health.
- Improve the extension services to farmers: ATMA aims to improve the extension services to farmers by involving them in the planning and implementation of extension activities, and by using various communication channels such as Farm Schools, Farmer Field Schools, and Farmer Field Days.
- Build the capacity of farmers and other stakeholders: ATMA aims to build the capacity of farmers and other stakeholders, such as NGOs, private sector entities, and government agencies, to manage and run their own agricultural development programs.
- Strengthening the agricultural extension system: ATMA aims to develop and strengthen the agricultural extension system by involving various stakeholders in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of extension activities.
- Implementing government schemes: ATMA also focuses on implementing various government schemes related to agriculture, such as the National Food Security Mission, and the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.
- District-specific approach: ATMA scheme is designed to be implemented in a decentralized and participatory manner, with the active involvement of farmers, NGOs, and other stakeholders, providing the flexibility for the state government to design their activities as per the district-specific situation and locally available resources.
Funding of the Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme
The Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMA) Scheme is funded by the Government of India through the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare. The scheme is implemented by the State Agricultural Departments, with the funding being provided to the states in the form of grants.
ATMA scheme is implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme and the funding pattern is as follows:
- The central government provides 75% of the total budget and the remaining 25% is borne by the state government.
- For the North Eastern and hilly states, the central share is 90% and the states’ share is 10%.
The funding is released in two instalments:
- First instalment, which is usually released before the start of the financial year, is released to the states to enable them to plan and implement their activities.
- Second instalment, which is usually released during the year, is released to the states on the basis of the utilization certificates of the first instalment and the achievement of physical and financial targets.
Hello, I am Sonu Verma, M.Sc. (Horti.) Agriculture content writer, and an enthusiast who loves to share knowledge. No Culture Without Agriculture.