Registered Buffalo Breeds in India – AgriBooks
The buffalo species originated in India. More than half of the total milk produced in the country was contributed by the 47.22 million (55%) milch buffaloes, where as the 57.0 million cows contribute only 45% of the total milk yield.
- There are about 19 indigenous standard breeds of buffaloes, which are well known for their milking qualities.
Buffalo breeds Classification:
According to body weight
- Large size breeds – Jaffarabadi, Murrah and Nili Ravi.
- Medium size breeds – Mehsana, Bhadawari and Nagpuri.
- Smaller size breeds – Shurti.
Breed according to area
- Murrah/ North India group – Murrah, Niliravi and Kundi
- Gujrat group – Jaffarabadi, Mehsana and Surati
- U.P group – Bhadawari and Tarai
- Central Indian group – Nagpuri, Pandharpuri, Manda, Jerangi, Kalahandi and Sambhalpuri
- South Indian group – Toda, South kenra and Kuttand
List of Registered Buffalo Breeds in India
Assam and Manipur
Punjab and Himachal Pradesh